Monday, May 12, 2008

geography lessons

On January 4, 2003, I arrived by bus to a small town in the middle of the middle of Mexico. On January 21, a magnitude 7.6 earthquake hit Colima.

A few days later I received a large volume of e-mails chastising me for not letting everyone know that I was OK.
There were hundreds of miles and one very large mountain range between me and the earthquake. My response at the time was "Learn your geography, people. Mexico is a huge country."

But now I'm the wrong side of the same problem. My parents are in China. According to the itinerary they sent me, on Mother's Day they were in Xi'an, about 500 miles north of the earthquake. And today, they have supposedly flown to Hong Kong, which is even further away from the disaster area, with their tour group .


Hopefully soon they'll be doing some of this:



And then some of this:


1 Comments:

Blogger ryan said...

Aw, this entry was very sweet and cute. My cousin is in grad school in China too, and he's about 900 miles from the quake, but I freaked a little as well, but mostly because I didn't really know where he was.

Here's to a safe trip back for all of our loved ones!

8:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home