Monday, May 21, 2007

eat, pray, love

Screw you, Liz Gilbert.

How dare you write a really good book about getting a divorce and traveling for a year to find spiritual and emotional fulfilment. That's my book, dammit.

Of course, it is a book I haven't even outlined yet, much less begun writing. But mine's better than yours! And more interesting ... and funnier ... and well just better.

Sure you went to Italy, India, and Indonesia and I only went to Mexico. While you lived in an Ashram and made amazing strides in your Yoga practice, I struggled to keep my head above water (spiritually speaking, that is) and often found myself either terrified by or dismissive of other yoga students and seekers I encountered. You were making friends by the fistful; I cultivated my inner curmudgeon.

The contrasts are endless and striking!

I'm only about halfway through but I'm sure that by the time I finish it I'll feel even more jealous and lame than I do now.

Thanks, Liz. Thanks alot.

PS: Just kidding.

PPS: Sort of.

PPPS: Seriously, thanks. It is a wonderful book. Thanks to Kelly too for the gift of it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

I'm reading this too, I wish I'd written it, too. I did study with the Buddhists, but I didn't go anywhere...ah well..it's so damn well written.

5:30 PM

 
Blogger Sheri said...

This was one of the best books I've read in years!! I am a stay-at-home mother of four children under the of nine years old, so Liz and I are somewhat worlds apart(I do love the fact that we were both born in 1969). I felt I learned right along side Liz. Wonderful!!!! Oh yea, I think I'm in love with Felipe!

Great book Elizabeth can't wait for the next one!!!

12:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm almost finished with this wonderful book - what an adventure!! I understand there are groups of women getting together around the country (as in a book-club forum, I suppose)discussing this book....does anyone know, if there is a group in the north Atlanta (GA) area? If so, can you please email me at: jaana55@bellsouth.net
Thanks!

4:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I miss something here ... I feel that Ms Gilbert is a very self absorbed woman.

The nerve of her husband to be upset with her over breaking up a marriage that he felt was going along as well, or even better than most. After all, she was the one who decided to end the marriage after she decided she did not want to have children. What an unfeeling person her husband is !!!

And to travel to Bali and the medicine man not remember her after meeting her once years before. Give me a break !!!

Liz ... alot of us have been thru divorces, deaths, illnesses and the likes without whining about it. You just made quite a bit more money doing it.

10:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will like to thank the writer of;"eat,pray and love" for reinforcing my thoughts on the femininity of women.Social,political and economic pulses have or assisted to transforming the "mind set"of womankind.I am in awe of the statement in the book;"I have never in my life taken one cent from any man.Additionally,the language configuration in the book suggest a woman capable of seducing the imagination of most MEN.

5:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home